Silver Boxes - Michael Bright


My words were harsh and hasty 
And they came without a thought. 
Then I saw the pain and anguish 
That my bitter words had brought.

Bitter words that i had spoken
Made me think back through the past;
Of how many times I'd uttered
Biting words whose pain would last.

Then I wondered of the people 
I had hurt by thins I'd said; 
All the ones I had discouraged 
When I didn't use my head.

Then I thought about my own life, 
Of painful words I've heard; 
And of the times I'd been discouraged 
By a sharp and cruel word.

And now clearly I remember 
All the things I might have done; 
But, by a word I was discouraged 
And they never were begun. 

Lord, help my words be silver boxes, 
Neatly wrapped up with a bow; 
That I give to all so freely 
As through each day I gladly go. 

Silver Boxes full of treasure, 
Precious gifts from God above; 
That all the people I encounter 
Might have a box of God's own live.